From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:13:00 EST
Terry Kasdan writes...
>But take a trip to the "Madhouse on Main
>Street" in Tuscon, or the Ice Pavillion at Penn St., or the "Big Pond"
>here in Champaign, and you would not be able to tell whether you were
>watching an ACHA game or an NCAA Division I game!

No offense to Terry, but I've been to dozens of ACHA (club)
Division I games and I haven't come close to mistaking one
for an NCAA Division I game.  And, I have seen the likes of
Arizona, Penn State and Illinois.  I even have a "Fighting Illini
Hockey" golf towel, which is interesting because I don't golf. :-)

Most of the top ACHA players could play NCAA Division I
hockey, that I will grant.  Jarrett Whidden, who was huge in
the ACHA at Ohio University, isn't out of place in the CCHA
with Ohio State, where he now plays.  But the overall quality
of the ACHA, even among the best teams, doesn't yet compare
to lower level NCAA D-I teams.

I think the tell tale sign for me is that I've seen plenty of ACHA
teams that, given a few weeks notice, I could play on.  I've never
seen an NCAA team that comes close to fitting that description.

Please don't take any of the above as a knock on the ACHA.
If you have an ACHA team in your area, by all means check
them out.  It IS college hockey.  But lets stay grounded in reality
when comparing the ACHA to the NCAA.

John H ([log in to unmask])