From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 21:20:11 -0100
At 1:58 PM 2/13/96, Morgenstern,David wrote:
>I too was surprised by all the calls early on.  I have to admit (biased BU
>glasses on) that I had no idea why 2 penalties were called after the 1st. NU
>goal.  The first one was called before the goal, but I never saw the second
>and none of the replays could find anything worthy of a call after the goal.
> And they certainly had enough cameras.

Wood got the second call for hitting after the whistle - I didn't see it,
but it could have happened.

Since NU was on a power play and a delayed penalty against BU was signaled,
and NU scored, the guy in the box came out and the new 2:00 went up.  Add
Wood's penalty and it was 5x3 for 2:00 (or until NU scored again).

Dave Hendrickson wrote:
>*  Todd Reynolds yanks himself.  Mike (Bud) Veisor started the game for
>Northeastern and was replaced with Reynolds at the start of the second.  After
>a flurry of BU goals Reynolds made a beeline for the NU bench, yanking himself.
>After tearing off his mask he appeared to say something like "I can't stop
>anything!"  From my vantage point Veisor did not appear pleased to be going
>back in.  I can't recall any other time that a goalie gave himself the hook.
>I can imagine many head-strong coaches that would toss him back out there and
>say "*I* decide when you come out," even though Reynolds confidence was clearly
>shot at that point.

Dave and I talked about this a bit after his message.  I'll relay some of
that here.

First, I disagreed with the decision to pull Veisor at the time.  I didn't
think it was his fault...four of the five BU goals in the first were PPGs.
And NU was only down two.  I could have seen it if it was a four or five
goal deficit, making a change to spark the team.

Second, I'm not sure Reynolds is able to play as well as he wants to.  He
has had that chronic back ailment, and he seems to have some trouble
turning in certain directions - against Merrimack Friday, he allowed four
goals in the second, and Merrimack was told to shoot to his bad side (and
did, often).  He played the whole game that night (Merrimack won, 5-3).

Then I was surprised that Ben Smith left Reynolds in as long as he did -
five goals on ten shots in ten minutes.  When he came out, it was 10-3
halfway through the second, and there was no indication that Smith was even
going to take Reynolds out at that point - although Reynolds rushed off so
quickly that it's hard to know.

I thought Reynolds might have been upset at three things: 1) his injury
might have made it difficult for him to play the way he wanted to, 2) he
was not getting any help from his defense, 3) he had been left in to get
shelled as long as he was.  Any or all of these might have been why he
reacted the way he did.  I felt bad for the guy.

>*  Does Fitzie try to be The Show?

There's another HE referee who would more appropriately deserve the
nickname "The Show", but I'll leave that to others to figure out. :-)

>The first period was marked by a couple
>power play goals by BU followed by power play goals by Northeastern.  One
>could argue that the manpower situation was the single pivotal factor for most
>of the first period.

It definitely was.  Some of the early NU penalties were ones they were
forced to take because BU was all over them.  But there was also a
precedent set in calling so much so early.  They came out calling it very
tight and had to keep it going that way.  That worked against NU since BU's
special teams are so good.

Still, the Huskies were not in bad shape, being down only two after one.
The second period did them in.  Would Veisor have made a difference?  I
don't know, it's tough to blame Reynolds on most of the goals he allowed
because NU's D was not playing well at all.  I could understand Reynolds'
frustration.

On another note, I went to the game with a friend who had never been to the
Beanpot before; he just retired from pro baseball and could never go
because of conflicts.  But he is a former HS hockey player who was
recruited by BU and Lowell eleven years ago before deciding to go to
UMass-Amherst to concentrate on baseball.  He still thinks he made the
right decision but always says that hockey was his favorite, and seeing the
games last night reminded him that he wishes he had a chance to play
college hockey.  Who knows, if it had been eight years later, he could have
played both at UMA.  And he could have.

He wasn't familiar with any of the teams or players but it was funny when I
pointed out Marty Reasoner and then Reasoner had a goal and three assists
for BC in the consolation.  When the nightcap rolled around, he said, don't
tell me who the good players are, let me try to figure it out.  A couple of
minutes in, he said, "Number 3 for BU looks like he must be pretty good."
(O'Sullivan)  I said, yeah, you could say that. :-)

BTW, the crowd of over 18,000 (18,065?) broke last week's mark and set a
new record for largest crowd to attend a college hockey game in Boston, New
England, the Northeast, take your pick.  I don't know where it would rank
on an all-time list, but there are at least a few games that drew more -
not many, however.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93