From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:48:00 PST
Hey Spartan HOCKEY-Lers, where are you lately?
(Mr. Monaghan, shouldn't you chime in here?)
I do have Mason's stats for his first 3 years at MSU:
     14-24-0, 12-22-2, 26-14-2, followed by 7 of 8 30-plus win seasons (the
other was 27 wins).
As Bill Selman, Frank Anzalone and Jeff Jackson will tell you, Keith:
Ron Mason scratched that program out of nothing at Lake State.
Your memory absolutely amazes me. Shame on you!
There is great hockey at Lake State today because Ron Mason made it
possible.
Ron has always given Jack Vivian credit for what he started at Bowling
Green.
And if you talk to Jerry York or Buddy Powers today, they'll tell you that
they built on Mason's work at BGSU.
And Ron gives Amo Bessone full respect for his accomplishments at Michigan
State; Amo returns with great respect every season. Ron has always treated
Amo with the class he so richly deserves.
Steve Klein
 ----------
Several people on Hockey-L have attributed LSSU's success (in part) to Ron
Mason. That seems a little strong, considering that he left (then) LSSC in
1973. He had
a good record at Lake State, but the NAIA schedule was much different from
the CCHA
schedule that they have had to play since that time.  I will credit that if
his
record had not been as good, Lake State may never have moved on.
I don't have the stats for his first three years at MSU, but having watched
Mason's first 3 years a MSU, the team didn't grow noticably better over
those three years.
   Keith
   LSSC '77