Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 02:32:08 -0600
The gophers looked very good this weekend.  Northern Michigan played very
well for the first fifteen minutes on Friday, and then the roof started to
collapse on them.  At the start, they clogged it all up, producing a game
played largely in center ice with few chances either way.  After Minnesota
scored, though, it began to slip away.  10-0 was a score that reasonably
reflected the play, as Minnesota outshot the Wildcats 44-11 for the game,
allowing only one shot on goal in the third period.  The longer the game
went on, the more the Gophers dominated.

Tonight was much the same, except that Northern didn't come out as strong
at the start.  The MSC announcers were raving about how well the Wildcats
were playing through late in the second period, but I really think that
this needs some qualifications.  They played an aggressive, physical game
and certainly gave it a great effort.  They kept it close (1-0 after a
period) but this was due largely to good play by Dieter Kochen in goal.  In
order to play such a hard checking game, they almost entirely gave up
offensive play.  By keeping it close, they left the door open to something
flukey happening, but I never really felt that they were a real threat to
come back.  Instead, the more predictable happened; Minnesota started
finding the cracks and again took over the game.  The final score of 7-0
was again not deceiving; the shots were 50-20 for the game and the Gophers
owned the second half.

On the whole, Northern Michigan played hard.  Over the last couple of
years, I have developed a strong dislike for the Wildcats; as their success
level dropped, their play degenerated into a lot of cheap hockey.  That was
not true this weekend.  Their effort was not lacking; it is a young team
that really played its heart out.  I hope that they start to have enough
success to see that effort rewarded.  That said, I think they need for this
year to end soon.  They don't have it put together enough to win many games
the rest of the way and their current focus could easily slip away.  They
need to step back, take some time off, and have another fall practice to
assimilate some experience.  There is a real chance that next year could
see some real improvement.

In a few weeks looking back, this could prove to be a key weekend.
Minnesota gained a point on both CC and Denver.  It's now been three games
since they gave up a goal and they have not at all disappointed in the way
they have been taking care of the second division teams in the league.  I'm
looking forward to the upcoming games against North Dakota.  These should
be exciting, but I think the Gophers have a real chance to sweep and come
back to face Colorado College.  In that case, the Friday game against CC
will see the Gophs trying to tie the WCHA record unbeaten streak that the
Tigers set just a few weeks ago, as well as looking to tie for first place.

As a side note, it was a big weekend for Minnesota's occasional scorers.
Dan Woog had a hat trick on Friday, which I believe were the 7th, 8th and
9th goals of his three-year career.  Brian LaFleur had a goal in each game,
his 5th and 6th of both the season and career (again, a junior).  And Jay
moser had four goals filling in for the injured Dave Larson, giving him
five for the season in seven games.  Sorry, Carol; Dave may have trouble
getting his roster spot back.

J. Michael Jackson