From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:46:26 EST
It wasn't noted last week (surprisingly) but UMass-Lowell's Marc Salsman was
last week's Hockey East Player of the Week.  This past weekend he continued
to add to his point totals in UML's sweep of Providence with a goal and an
assist.  Interestingly enough, Salsman was featured in the Hockey News early
December in an article which touted his abilities as a "shadow" who shut down
players like Mark Mowers (UNH) and Vermont's Martin St. Louis.  I recall him
being quoted as saying that he wasn't much of a scorer so it was nice to be
able to contribute defensively.  Well, he certainly has turned around the
"not much of a scorer".  In the first twelve games of the season leading up
to the article he had scored 2 goals.  In the twelve games since then
he has scored nine goals and is now getting some power play time.  "Not
much of a scorer" indeed!

As a Lowell fan this is very good news indeed.  I've been concerned about the
lack of production from the non-seniors.  The RiverHawks will be graduating
the following forwards this year: Jeff Daw, Brendan Concannon, David Dartsch,
Jon Mahoney, Billy Riga, and my own favorite Christian Sbrocca.  Except for
Riga and sometimes Dartsch, all of these have been fixtures on the top two
lines.  Indeed, aside from an occasional burst from speedster Shannon
Basaraba, Neil Donovan has been the only forward who'll be around next
year who has consistently generated some offense.  Salsman's offensive step
forward, important this year, will be critical next season.

On the bright side for next year, I've heard exceptional reports about one of
Lowell's early signees.  Mario Leblanc, a big forward from Cushing Academy,
has gotten glowing reviews from people I know.  Still, you need to assume that
most of your offense is coming from returning players and then count your lucky
stars when an impact freshman like Greg Bullock or Marty Reasoner comes along.
Salsman and Basaraba will need to consistently produce the rest of this year
to provide an expectation that at least one solid offensive line will be out
there for the 'Hawks next year.

DaveH