Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:14:01 -0600
I didn't think that the Gophers played that well this weekend, but for once
I'm not that worried.  They got their worst period out of the way at the
beginning; despite finishing the first period on Friday ahead 4-3, it
wasn't a good performance.  The first six minutes went very well, with two
goals and Minnesota dominating play.  Then they went to sleep.  Minnesota
committed some horrendous turnovers and for a brief period, the Badgers
looked like the fine team from last year, capitilizing on the mistakes and
tying the game up at two and then again at three after another Minnesota
goal.  The Gophers scored a goal very late in the period, and as is often
the case, that was big.

The second and third periods were much better.  Minnesota really took
control of the game, scoring three unanswered goals in the second.
Daubenspeck sat out the third, and his replacement (Jeff Soper?) made some
nice stops.  The play got a little sloppy at the end, but the Gophers
cruised home with the victory.

Saturday's game was much more closely played than the 5-0 score would
indicate.  Wisconsin outshot Minnesota, and Steve DeBus made some
spectacular saves throughout the game.  On the smaller surface of the
Target Center, Wisconsin came out playing a very physical game that at
times distracted the Gophs.  Towards the end, it started to get quite
nasty.  Once again, I'm surprised that no one got tossed out.  This year's
Showing Restraint Award has to go to Wyatt Smith; a scuffle broke out late
in the third, precipitated by Nick Checco retaliating for an earlier
vicious elbow with one of his own.  One of the Wisconsin players (Healey
perhaps, but I'm not sure) dropped his gloves and helmet and, after some
back-and-forth shoving, laced his fingers through Smith's facemask and got
himself a good grip, appearing to do a fair amount of taunting as well.
Wyatt did a fine job of keeping his arms at his sides and not cutting loose
for the minute-and-a-half or so that this went on.  It didn't save him from
a double-minor, but I was sure we had a full scale fight on our hands.

So it wasn't a pretty game and doesn't bode well for a peaceful, friendly
series at the Dane the last week of the season, but the Gophs won them
both.  I would have liked to see more solid play, particularly given the
reports out of Walter Brown concerning what it's going to take to beat BU.
I'll take two victories against the Badgers, though, and bank them.  I
anticipate more of the same next week, given the brawlfests Minnesota &
Northern Michigan have put on the last couple of years.  At least Greg
Hadden is gone, which can't hurt.  I'm looking forward to some good,
exciting HOCKEY up in Grand Forks and against CC starting in a couple of
weeks.

J. Michael Jackson