From:
Steven Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 13:22:17 -0400
I don't really know if there's a discussion in here, but I was listening
to local sports radio in Boston at noontime today, when the subject of
Travis Roy came up. I guess the station is accepting get well wishes as well
for the purpose of collecting and delivering to Travis.

Anyway, the hosts of the show then started to mention that they had contacted
ABC or Monday Night Football brass and asked if they could mention something
regarding either just the tradgedy itself or put up an address for the get
well cards. I guess they were flatly told, no, it's a local story, there's no
interest. The WEEI hosts (Andelman and Arnold) then proceded to complain about
the fact that during the broadcast mention was made of a get well to a
relative of a MNF staff member, sour grapes, etc... Just to add, MNF was here
in Foxborough last night, so it wasn't completely off base asking for a local
story to be given airtime.

The real question I want to raise, if this were a Division 1 football player -
let's say Boston College, and the same injury was sustained, don't you think
that would indeed have been mentioned ? Maybe I'm wrong, but I do. And if the
team involved was the National Champion (Nebraska ?? Shows how much I pay
attention to College Football), I REALLY think the injury would have been
brought up.

Anyway, it's food for thought. I'm not saying ABC has to broadcast every such
story, it simply couldn't, but having gotten a request for such a tragic
story, being in New England 2 days after the actual event, I thought ABC could
have honored the request with very little impact on the broadcast.

My opinion obviously.
steve czuba
RPI 86