From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 18:28:02 -0600
> From: "G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: UMass vs. UMass Amherst
>
> >        As for the largest branch of a state university going sans location,
> >name all the other state systems, besides UMass and Minnesota, that
> >>have two Divison I teams in the *same* sport, never mind in the
> >*same* league.
>
> Debbie already mentioned Wisconsin, but forgot to add UWGB to the list.
>
> In addition to Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, we have
> Nevada (Nevada- Reno, which has dropped the Reno part and is simply
> going by Nevada, and UNLV), Texas (the Longhorns, UT-Pan American
> and UT-San Antonio), Arkansas (the Razorbacks and UA-Little Rock),
> Tennessee (which I believe someone else men- tioned, with the Vols
> and UT-Chattanooga and UT-Martin), the entire California system
> (Berkeley, Davis, Santa Barbara, Irvine, etc.), North Carolina (the
> Tar Heels, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Wilmington), and
> Maryland (the Terra- pins and Md-Eastern Shore).  I think that's a
> complete list.  Except for the Nevada case, most of these schools
> are in the same division as their "big" brothers primarily in orange
> pituitary-freak ball. :-)
>
> G. M. Finniss
> Michigan State University
> Surprisingly or not, a Michigan resident who cheered for the Devils

And then, of course, there is the University of Colorado System
We have The University of Colorado, normally called CU, sometimes
called the Buffs, occasionally (really rarely) called cu boulder,
someties called other less complimentary things, but located in
Boulder (32 square miles surrounded by reality) and nontheless a
division 1 school that plays football, basketball, and has a club
hockey team.  CU is not to be confused with CC (Colorado College)
a small high quality liberal arts college in colorado springs.  The
university of colorado system has 4 campuses.  There is the afotrementioned
boulder campus, the University of colorado medical center (it does no
athletics) in denver, the university of colorado at denver (also
called CU-denver or CU-downtown) that has no athletics program, and
finally, there is the university of colorado at colorado springs (UCCS
for over 25 years to everybody except a minor few who have taken to
calling it CU-the springs) that has a division II athletics program
that meets title IX

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369