From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:17:09 -0400
Wayne writes:
>I think Hockey East should get out of the school naming business and
>stick to hockey.  Let the school specify the name Hockey East is to use.

I would like to have the name "Merrimack" used for Boston University. :-)

>If someone doesn't like it, try convince the school to change ...  by
>whatever means are available.  (Guess some HE schools did this!  Have
>the guts to stay out of the fray, HE).

Maybe, but HE isn't giving an entirely new name to the school.
They're just using the longer name in this instance in interests of
clarity (and perhaps for other reasons too).

I thought the point about some people thinking of UMass-Boston when
they hear "UMass" was an excellent one.  I had forgotten about that,
but I have often heard people say "UMass" and then realized they meant
UMass-Boston.

I guess this is the way I look at it: UML may be officially listed as
UMass-Lowell, but I will still often call them Lowell.  UMA may be
officially listed as UMass-Amherst, but I will still often call them
UMass.  Since info about the league will reach people who in many
cases are not too familiar with the schools, it is probably best to
make sure they know for certain who is who.