From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 01:31:04 -0400
Leigh Torbin wrote:

>         Yes, these games are both against UMass Amherst, a name we dislike
> out here in the Pioneer Valley. UMass has 29 varsity sports and is
> refered to as "UMass" in all 28 except for hockey. "UMass" is preferred
> by all, but since people were getting hung up over the Lowell thing, most
> people not associated with the University tack on the "Amherst." The
> "Amherst" does not appear in any press materials, programs, merchandise
> etc.

        Well, as can be seen by the confusion caused by the Cornell schedule
just listing UMass, it makes sense to use Amherst.  Furthermore, the
Lowell Tech, then University of Lowell and now University of Massachusetts
Lowell has been playing Division I ice hockey longer than UMass and I
agree that the Amherst should always be added.  It makes for far less
confusion for everyone.

        As for nothing in Amherst mentioning Amherst, that is why I had to
laugh when I enterd the Mullins Center of the first time.  What is
the first thing you see up on the wall in front of you? University of
Massachusetts  with Amherst below the letters u-s-e-t-t-s.

        What is more, the official University of Massachusetts System web
server does call the main campus Amherst.  It is the only way quickly
make people aware of where it is.

        As for trying to compare the UMA/UML situation with the UM/UMD
situation, it is apples and oranges.  First, I have heard of the main
UM campus mentioned as the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis and
the official UM web server also calls it Minneapolis.  I have found
this to be strange, since I usually just hear Minnesota mentioned.

        Second, in sports I would guess that the Minneapolis campus has
played Division I ice hockey for far longer than the Duluth campus.
Since Duluth was the 'new kid on the block' they had to accept being
called UMD, while UM remained UM.  If UMass Amherst had never dropped
hockey, it would likely be a different story, whether or not they had
joined Hockey East when it was formed.

        As for the largest branch of a state university going sans location,
name all the other state systems, besides UMass and Minnesota, that
have two Divison I teams in the *same* sport, never mind in the
*same* league.

        As far as all *other* sports, UML is Divison II, while UMA is
Divison I.  Since the teams play at different levels there is little
chance of confusing the two schools.  Also, UMass has played most of
those 28 other sports for far longer than UML since, 1) UML has only
existed since 1991, 2) The University of Lowell only existed from
1975 to 1991, and 3) before then, there were two schools, Lowell
State and Lowell Tech.  Even then, the ice hockey team hockey team
has only been varsity since 1967 and existed at all since 1961.  I
would expect that many other UML sports teams have also only existed
for a similiar amount of time, or less.

> You don't have to call it "New Hampshire-Durham." That would sound
> uterly stupid. So does "UMass-Amherst" to us.

        What other University of New Hampshire school plays any Division I
sport?  As for UMass Amherst sounding utterly stupid, if you use it,
you will get used to it.  It has taken me 4 years to get used calling
Lowell either UML or UMass Lowell.  Personally, I still prefer
Lowell, but the state system does not want that named used.  You
could then use just UMass for Amherst, but it will not happen.

>         When you visit the Mullins Center with the Big Red in December,
> take a look to the rafters and observe the Hockey East banners. There's 8
> of the 9 teams up there, everyone but us. The ones we were sent had
> "UMass Amherst" on them, and as a silent protest against the name, it
> doesn't fly. You'll also notice that the Atlantic-10 has "Massachusetts"
> on it's basketball banner. That's acceptable, "UMass-Amherst" is not.

        As for banners, BU has never hung a banner for themselves from the
ceiling of Brown Arena, so I thought nothing odd about there being no
UMass Amherst banner at Mullins.  I do find the reason of a silent
protest rediculous, since the Mullins Center has Amherst on the wall
below University of Massachusetts, as I have already stated.

        Like it or not, you will have to accept UMass Amherst for your ice
hockey team.

Sean Pickett
Go Boston University Terriers
1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
E-mail: [log in to unmask]