From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 1995 01:20:06 -0400
Jayson Moy writes:
>It was the RPI-Clarkson game at Cheel Arena.  Now to my observations, RPI
>had 19 skaters on the ice for warm-ups.  The question was whether or not
>Craig Hamelin would dress for the evening, and his potential replacement
>Ken Kwasniewski was also dressed for the warm-up.  Hamelin wound up being
>scratched and Kwas dressed.
>
>Did RPI violate an NCAA rule?

Yes, according to rule 2-3-a from the 1995 rule book.  The note reads,

"Note: Only players from each team shall participate in the pregame
warm-up.  The 18 players and not more than three goalkeepers
participating in the pregame warm-up do not necessarily have to be the
same players listed on the official game report form.  It is
mandatory, however, that the 18 players and goalkeepers listed on the
official game report form are the players who will dress for the game.

Should more than 18 players and three goalkeepers participate in the
pregame warm-up or game, the offending team shall be assessed a bench
minor penalty."

Of course I don't know whether a penalty was assessed in this case,
but it is possible that this sort of thing happened at times without
anyone noticing (i.e. the officials) and so no penalty was given.

I guess now they will have to make sure there are not *20* players
instead of 19...