From:
Lance Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lance Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 20:32:56 EDT
        There has been a lot of talk on here about popularizing college hockey.  While I agree that it is a small niche sport right now, I question the idea of nationalizing and merchandising this great sport.  I don't really see what good it would do to have a national audience.  Sure, the schools would make more money, sure the NCAA would make more $$$, ESPN and other stations would make more $$$.  But what about the current fans?  How do we as fans benefit from such a move?
        I like the fact that I can go to the RPI hockey games and get tickets at the door.  I like seeing the same regualr group of fans.  I like the relatively small Houston Field house and the large percentage of student fans.  Though there are other local fans too.  I also like that there are no TV timeouts.  I was at the ECAC tourny and even there there were camera's etc.
        Sure getting ESPN to cover the sport would increase it's popularity, but why?  What good would it do?  It woud be harder to get tickets, they woudl be more expensive, there would be more BS and a lot more corruption.  (Look at college football).  Recruting is bad enough as it is, I don't want to see teams with ridiculous grade point averages and high drug use.  There is enough pressure on these kids.  Maybe they woudl have a abetter shot tat the NHL, but I would rather most of them have a good shot at a career or even grad school.

Lance