From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 16:43:28 -0600
There has been some discussion on this list about the competition for
players between the junior leagues and Div. I.  The Edmonton Journal had
a long feature on the new education officer for the Western Hockey
League.  The main point was that this person is independent of the
coaches, and that his mandate is to ensure that players receive a quality
academic education in addition to developing their hockey skills.

I cannot comment on whether the WHL has undergone a conversion experience
and will now more closely monitor thier players (and require coaches to
allow time and positive feedback for school.)  I can say that if this
kind of publicity is going out all over Canada (which I have no way of
knowing) I cannot help but think it is in response to the appeal of US
college hockey for providing the fallback of a degree along with the
preparation for a professional hockey career.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!