From:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 08:39:06 -0600
Does Sean Walsh care about his athletes as student athletes?  Well, I can
only quote from my own experience.  Some time ago I was teaching at Maine
and I had <name withheld to protect everybody-especially ME> in my
class.  This class was a required course and the scholar/athlete had made
a verbal commitment to attend every class.  He cut class and so I called
the Hockey office.  Despite the fact that this scholar/athlete was Hockey
East player of the week--or somesuch award winner--Walsh called me back
and said that he was going
to pull the player from the line-up unless I disagreed for any reason. I
didn't, he yanked the player, the player passed the class...

One player, one class, is scarcely enough information to base an opinion
on, but I like the fact that the coach took the time to speak to a lowly
teaching assistant about this.  I also had football players in my class
and you don't want to know about their coaches' attitudes.

IMHO if Walsh goes elsewhere it will not be because he is two faced, but
because he is tired of being let down by the incompetent, under-funded,
disloyal administration at Maine.  And the loss will be the Maine
program's, and not the other way around.

just my 2c,

Giles.