From:
Debbie Somers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Somers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 21:34:00 -0500
On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Richard Edward Vehlow wrote:

> I figured out that Students have to sit on line to get tickets for the season,
> but now I've heard from one of the alums that they het the same seats year
> after year if they want them and through the mail. I think they should have to
> reapply for seats totally each year on a first-come first served basis just
> like the students.

[ring-ring] cluephone for Rich Vehlow.  :-)

A couple of differences between student season ticket holders and
non-student season ticket holders:

1.  Individual students are only around for a few years -- non-students
are a continuing source of income for the school.

2.  Students are, by their very nature, on campus and available to stand
in line for tickets -- non-students are not, and would have to take a day
of vacation, day without pay, etc. to stand in line, to say nothing of
those who do not live in the immediate area and might have to travel
great distances to stand in line.

In addition, can you imagine the logistical nightmare of trying to
coordinate the sale of n-hundred season tickets at one fell swoop?  While
I can't begin to know exactly how student season tickets are handled, I
would imagine that they are sold on an individual basis (i.e., 1 student
gets 1 set of season tickets).  Non-student season tickets, however, are
not limited to 1 set, but are usually sold in a group (limited by number
of family members, available cash, seat availability, etc.).

> This "same seat" crap is the same scam that's in profession-
> al sports parks. No need for it- in every instance, the stadium is sure to
> fill their seats regardless of who comes and what the situation is, even in
> pro baseball nowadays...

Sorry, Rich, but this argument is your basic hogwash.  With very few
exceptions (Michigan football perhaps?), there isn't an athletic
department on the face of this planet who is guaranteed a full house for each
and every event.  By and large, attendance flows in direct proportion to
the wins and losses.  Some people purchase season tickets because they
figure their team has a good chance to be good and they want to be there
for it, and season tickets allow them to do that.  OR, they just plain
want to support their team through their purchase of season tickets.  Or,
both.

There is a world of difference between people who buy season tickets when
a team is first starting out and those who just have to have season
tickets when the team is established and is a winner.  Having the
opportunity to purchase the same seats (center ice if you're lucky) could
be considered a "thank you" to those people who have stuck with the
program through the lean years as well as the good years.

[Whew, it's a long way down from this soapbox.]  Don't you just love the
off-season?! :-)

Debbie

Debbie Somers                                NCAA Div III National Champs
UW-Stevens Point                        1988-89, 1989-90, 1990-91,1992-93
"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."
                                    Hubert H. Humphrey