From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 21:15:52 -0400
>It is worth noting that BU will be much more in compliance with Title IX next
>year.  BU is *unfortunately* dropping men's baseball and adding women's
>lacrosse and women's soccer to varsity status.  This will take place next
season.  Also, the coaches for all men's teams (including hockey) have been
asked
>to put the number of players on their roster on hold.

BU is also adding women's golf, which will bring the number of varsity
team's equal at 12 for both men and women.  BU will still fail the Brown
ruling of having an equal number of atheletic spots for men and women based
on the student body ratio.  If BU had dropped football, as was rumored back
in the fall of 1993, they would likely be in total compliance with Title IX
after adding the three women's sports this year.

BC elevated their women's hockey team to varsity status this past year
('94-'95), so the BC statistics should reflect that.  I have no idea what
else BC is doing to comply with Title IX.

As for UMass Lowell, _The Lowell Sun_ had a large article about the school
and Title IX lat week, after the Brown ruling.  I do not have it, but it
showed that UML had about a 60-40 ratio of the student body and the athletic
body.  Furthermore, I believe UML had the same number of men's and women's
teams and was adding another women's sports team, which I believe was for
soccer.

Sean Pickett
Go Boston University Terriers
1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
E-mail: [log in to unmask]