From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:06:26 EDT
Sean writes:

>How recent is recent?  Back in the late sixties and early eventies, when
>players could only play on the varsity for three years, BU had several
>outstanding senior classes.  The '67 seniors had a three year record of
>77-19-1 (.799) and the '72 seniors had an even better record of 74-13-2 (.843).

Ah, good, a chance to talk about Cornell's history, instead of Cornell's
*recent* history :-(

Anyway, the Big Red had a senior class (that, as Sean notes, was only
allowed to play three years on the varsity) which posted a record that I'd
be willing to bet is unbeatable.  The 1970 class went 29-0 their senior
year, and combined with their previous two seasons (27-2 both times), they
posted an overall record of 83-4, a percentage of 0.954 (!)  The 1969
class, which included Ken Dryden (once again, he was NOT the goalie for
the undefeated team), didn't do too shabby either:  81-5-1, 0.937.

(OK, maybe this isn't so unbeatable.  I see from the College Hockey Record
Manual that Dartmouth once went undefeated for about five years.  Did
seniors play only three years of varsity back then?  If so, then the Dart-
mouth class of 1945 went 26-0-1 over their three seasons, for a percentage of
[gulp] 0.981.  If they played FOUR years, however, the percentage would drop
to about 0.951.  Still pretty good, though)
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I still remember sitting in a darkened theater with my arm around 17-year-
 old Mary Jo Rasmussen, trying to get to first base.  I can even remember
 the name of the film:  'The Lion King'."
-- Steve Martin, presenting an award at the Oscars