From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 20:09:31 GMT
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>RPI was shutout in their game against Minnesota on Friday.  Last year
>they were shutout by UNH.  This means that they have not scored a goal
>in an NC$$ tournament game since early in the 2nd period of the 1985
>championship game against Providence, thus about 150 minutes without a
>goal.  Does anyone know if this is a record?

Probably is.

For the record, the last RPI goal in NCAA Tournament competition was at the
3:49 mark of the second period in the 1985 Championship game vs. Providence.
George Servinis scored an unassisted short-handed goal at that time.

So, the Engineers have been shutout for the last 156 minutes and 11 seconds.

I say this is probably a record because it is possible for other teams
to have scored their last goal early in one game, be shutout in the next,
then in the next game score their first goal late to produce a span in
excess of what RPI has done.  However, it is unlikely.

Also, RPI certainly holds the record for most consecutive games being held
scoreless (2).  Nobody else has accomplished (or not accomplished) this
feat before.

RPI is one of three teams (as of this writing) to be shutout in their last
NCAA game.  Merrimack (a 5-0 loss to Lake Superior in 1988) and North Dakota
(a 5-0 loss to BU in 1990) are the others.

A new tradition to be proud of.

Kurt Stutt