From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 11:44:24 -0600
Letters to the Sports Editor, St. Paul Pioneer Press 3/26/95

Here are a few letters to the editor of the sports page which I though
might be of interest to hockey-l'ers.

BADGERS FANS OBNOXIOUS

Good sportsmanship? The idea is obviously foreign to Wisconsin hockey
fans. When the Badgers beat Colorado College in the title game of the
WCHA tournament in St. Paul, the large Wisconsin contingent (the bowling
alley must have burned down) taunted the CC goalie with "sieve, sieve."

After an exciting, hard-fought hockey game, the obnoxious "sieve" chant
was like rubbing cheese into an open wound

The WCHA Final Five tourney is a first-class event in a first-class city,
St. Paul. Is it too much to ask that Badger fans act with some class and
not like orangutans dressed in red pajamas?

If the Civic Center had charged admission by the pound, half the
Wisconsin fans would have needed a loan just to get in!

(Signed, three St. Paul people, I'm leaving the names off these because I
don't think it would be ethical to post their names without their permission)

        WHOA!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!??? I guess there were some
        people out there who felt the same way I did too!

MEMORABLE CONTEST

Last weekend I witnessed some exciting and well-played collegiate hockey
games at the Saint Paul Civic Center. From my perspective, the game of
the WCHA Final Five Tournament was played Saturday afternoon. It was
Minnesota vs. Denver, and it was for third place.

After being decimated by injuries and a heartbreaking overtime loss the
night before, the Gophers seemingly had little incentive to play this
game. To the credit of coach Doug Woog and his players, the Gophers not
only won in another overtime thriller, but they did so with the heart and
character of a champion!

In today's world of overpriced or striking professional athletes, it was
refreshing and inspiring to see a group of athletes perform solely for
the love of the game. It was truly a gutty performance and one that I
will remember for years to come.

(Signed, a person from Woodbury)

        Nice point!

MINNESOTA'S TREASURE

Do all the hockey fans in Minnesota appreciate the fact that the entire
Minnesota Gopher hockey team is from Minnesota? They are a state
treasure, and I couldn't be prouder

(Signed, a person from St. Paul)