Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 11:10:29 -0600
From today's Pioneer Press:

It has been determined by an MRA that the cause for Godbout's stroke
came from a hole in his heart.  About 7 years ago, the same thing happened
to my dad for the same reason, and the only way to prevent further problems,
as was stated in the paper, and was told to my father, is to have
open-heart surgery to fix the problem.  Technically, this is a birth-defect;
all of us are born with small holes in our hearts, and they eventually
come closed.  If they don't, usually a stroke will occur sometime down
the line, for my dad it was 43 years later, for Godbout it was 18.

Godbout was told that if he wants to continue to play hockey, he will have
to undergo the surgery.  In that case, he will most likely be red-shirted
next season, and still have 3 seasons of eligibility remaining.

He is said to be improving considerably, regaining most of his speech,
and able to walk and shower.  He will remain in a Madison hospital for 4
or 5 days, and undergo therapy to strengthen his still-weak facial muscles.
His father, Ken, says that his face is still a bit droopy.  After he returns
home, the family will discuss whether or not to go ahead with the surgery,
which would probably take place sometime this summer.

It was also mentioned that earlier this season, November perhaps, he
had an incident in which they were doing skating drills and he just
couldn't get himself going, he was very lethargic.  He had an MRI done
then, which didn't reveal a problem.  Doctors now say that the MRI isn't
nearly as good as detecting strokes as the MRA is.

Keep Jason in your thoughts, and here's to seeing him back on the ice
in 96-97

Katie
Go Gophers!  NCAA Final Four 1995