From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 18:20:21 EST
>Posted on 23 Mar 1995 at 20:04:15 by Michael A. Willen
>
>Re: ALB for ECACs
>
>I would agree that Albany is the ideal host for the ECAC playoffs.
>It is centrally located and probably the easiest site to get to relative
>to the ECAC teams.  There are plenty of hotels, motels and restaurants.
>It's only the political wishes of the Ivy League that keep it at LP.
>The anti-RPI feelings prevail and can be the only locgical reason
>for the games being in that out of the way place.

Even though Albany is considerably closer to Providence than Lake Placid,
I'd rather go to Lake Placid ANY TIME. To put it diplomatically, the
Albany-Troy-Schenectady area isn't very interesting. Besides being
infinitely more attractive than Albany, Lake Placid is a town with a
lot of hockey tradition. To think that Lake Placid was picked over
Albany because "anti-RPI feelings prevail" in the ECAC is a bit of
paranoia.

>Let's see what happens at LP if a tourney ever is without
>RPI, Clarkson or SLU.  Would anybody show up?

Let's. Other colleges have very loyal fans. Two examples I can think of
are Vermont and Cornell. Cornell fans used to fill the Boston Garden.
I am also positive that if Union made it to the Final Four, a large
contingent of their fans would show up.

Luiz F. Valente