From:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 12:28:08 -0500
Arthur Mintz writes

> Reality check. Cornell players who did NOT play in last weekend's North
> Country series...
>
> made the trip but did not dress: Blair Ettles, Dan Dufresne, Joel McArter
> on the team but did not make the trip: Jason Zubkus, Jason Weber, Tim
> Shean, Vinnie Auger (injured).
> left the team since the start of the season: Jiri Kloboucek, Andy Bandurski
> played in prior seasons but did not come out for (or did not make) the team
> this season: John DeHart, Alex Vershinin
>
> That's 11 extra players who were recruited at one time or another. Plenty
> of bodies. Plenty of talent?

Arthur, I don't see the point here.  I think we all know that there is no
danger of running out of bodies.  (Of course, there was a greater supply
still in past years when the JV team was still funded.)  But the primary
point being made, as you somewhat acknowledge in your last sentence, is that
more recruits with more talent would have upgraded the program.  Vinnie Auger
is the only one on the list you cite that would make a difference in the
current capabilities of the team.

Greg Berge says

> I have got to disagree strongly, Mike.  With the exception of his last two
> performances, Eddy Skazyk has been the worst Cornell goaltender I've
> seen in 14 seasons.  His career GAA and SvPct are awful, and
> deservedly so.

On the chance that this is not just hyperbole, we can think back to a few who
were clearly worse during this time period.  Leaving aside goalies who played
only a game or two, an easy counter example is Don Fawcett.  The year that he
and Jim Edmands split time as freshman was a rather grim one for Cornell
goaltending.  And I'm not necessarily convinced that Skazyk would actually
_win_ less than Bandurski, over the long haul.

--
Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>