From:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 20:09:00 EST
Michel Mongeau of the Peoria Rivermen (IHL) is suing Chris Tamer, formerly
of Michigan and Cleveland (IHL) for a hit Tamer laid on Mongeau in a game
in January.  Tamer was suspended for the rest of the season, but was
convienently called up to the Penguins the next day.  Mongeau is suing for
$3.35 million, $2.25 from the Lumberjacks and $1.1 from Tamer himself.

Note that this kind of suit has been succesful.  Dennis Polonich (playing
for the Red Wings) at the time won $850,000 in an assault suit.  The question
for college hockey is - who would get sued?  The player?  Won't get a dime.
The college.  Public school, good luck.  Probably would have some chance
with a private school, but the question begs even if the player could afford
a good lawyer (doubtful), is it worth it?

Also, from a previous thread, I have to concur with the person said the
Michigan crowd is vulgur.  As a season ticket holder (right in the heart
of the student section), I just find it rather unnecssary.  At the Mich-MSU
away game, an MSU fan asked me why all are chants have the word "suck" in
them.  I explained to her that we were saying the PG version, since I can
not bring myself to use the real words in public.  It's not that all 8,000
people are swearing like sailors, it's just a vocal 200 that spoil it for
the other 7,800.

Mike Burger
Michigan '90 - Colorado State '93 - Paycheck forever