From:
Steven Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 20:11:58 PST
        I've been listening to college hockey pep bands for almost 30 years,
and as much as I enjoy the Wisconsin band (my alma mater!), the smoothness of
the MSU band, the wackiness of the Yale band and the sheer power of the
Michigan band (Yost Arena acoustics help), they all pale compared to the
Michigan Tech pep band.
        I think that's because Tech's band doesn't come from a formal music
program. Instead of trying to make nice music, they make pretty nice music and
and lots of game-related noise. They get into it and can make a difference.
        As far as playing during the power play (the NCAA rule against pep
bands playing during play resulted, I believe, from the Tech band playing
nearly throughout the entire NCAA championship game against Denver in Boston
in the mid-'70s; it didn't help; Denver won, 4-2) reminds me of the USC band
during football games.