From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 01:53:15 -0600
Wisconsin came from behind in an exciting finish to tonight's
Badger Showdown game to beat Bowling Green 4-3 in double-overtime.
Expect for some major lapses in the second period, the Badgers
looked quite good.

The game was very even -- shots on goal were in lockstep for most
of the game. It was 1-1 for most of the game. BG went up 3-1 in
the third. In the last 10 minutes of the third the Badgers really
poured it on, the fans came alive, and they had many good chances
and ended up out-shooting the Falcons by about 10 (for the game).
Jamie spencer tied the game with less than a minute to go, just
before Daubenspeck would have been pulled for an extra attacker.

Mark Strobel had the game-winner at 3:43 of the second overtime.
More details tommorrow.... gotta sleep soon (and I'll use the
paper to refresh my memory of the details -- I hope I don't have
any errors in this tonight).

In the first game, LSSU went up 3-1 in the first (including a
goal credited at 19:59), then (with the help of 2 5-minute major
Laker penalties), Northeastern made it close on the scoreboard,
but the game was dominated by the Lakers. They outshot the Huskies
something like 54-25, even while killing a lot of penalties.

As for LSSU being "hosed by the officials", here's what I saw:

In the second period, an LSSU player (Foos, according to Keith's
post) threw a Northeastern player down in front of his bench.
Buzzy put his hand up immediatly (an interference call). Then
(according to the replay, and Buzzy's explanation which was
visible to all), he kicked at and/or stepped on the player with
his skate. I was sitting nearby, and as soon as he blew the
whistle heard buzzy yell "Number 14, NOW!" toward the bench area.
When questioned by a captain, he visibly lifted and stepped
downward with his skate, and seemed very upset by the whole incident.
Since I was on that side of the ice, I didn't see exactly what
happened, but the replay (on the scoreboard) did show the kick/step,
and it looked bad. Northeastern got 1 goal in the 7 minutes of
power play, and combined with another goal soon after, seemed to
give them life.

The second DQ was very odd. An interference call had been made,
and as the ref (Tok in this case) was making the interference
sign, a laker blew by/through his hands at high speed, toward the
bench. Obviously Tok and Buzzy thought it was deliberate. It
looked very odd, but (from my seats, not being a ref) could have
earned either a warning or a 10-minute call instead (we then lost
our first set of nice seats as the actual ticket holders showed
up, so I missed the rest of what happened). Somehow Northeastern
took a matchig minor the original interference call, so all that
was on the board was the major.

Looking forward to two more good games,

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626