From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 1994 22:19:37 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, John Kohlstrand
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>A guy with a pudgy, football build said that the store doesn't carry
>"MAC" gear. They can't sell it, because it isn't licensed. Notre Dame's is.
>
>Does anyone know what he's talking about? What is this licensing crap, and
>how do you get a license?

I don't know the specifics of licensing NCAA athletic apparel, but...

Say I own a private university that has a really good hockey team. A
clothing manufacturer wants to sell hockey jerseys with my school's
logo and uniform design. As common sense should dictate, the manufacturer
can't just sell replica jerseys to stores without my permission. I
deserve a piece of the pie, right? After all, it's my school, my team.
So, what I do is sell licenses to clothing manufacturers. They make
money off my school's reputation, and I get compensated. Now, again, I
have no idea what the specifics are regarding NCAA merchandise. I sense
the NCAA oversees licensing agreements amongst its members.

Shortly after Maine won its championship in 1993, there was a lot of
concern about counterfeit Maine hockey merchandise. It's illegal to
sell Maine hockey merchandise without a license from Maine and/or the
NCAA. It's similar to copyright law and trademark law, especially
trademark law because that's what's being licensed -- the ability to
sell stuff with my private university's trademark on it.
Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney