From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 08:16:00 EST
Dick Tuthill posted another rating method for college
hockey teams yesterday.  Using the RPICH numbers,
Dick did some normalizing to come up with degrees of
difficulty and corrected won-lost percentages.

First comment: What Dick's method does is re-weight
winning percentage, opponents winning percentage and
opponents opponents winning percentage from .25, .50,
.25 to 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

Second comment: I prefer 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 to .25, .50, .25. :-)
If anyone is interested in number crunching and has plenty
of time on their hands, I'd like to see .50, .25, .25 and .40, .30,
.30 as well.  Some of these linear combinations have been
tinkered with before on Hockey-L.  And, you can find RPICHs
from 1993-94, 1992-93, and so on in the archives.

[Actually...if you created a database from one of Erik's RPICH
posts including school name and the three relevant percentages
and accepted the fact that the input has been rounded to four
decimal places, you can write a program -- using SAS or whatever
you prefer -- that checks out any weighting scheme.  I may do
this when NCAA selection time comes around.  Let me know if
this is of interest.]

Thank you to Dick for taking time to do the calculations and
make the post.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan