From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:12:18 EST
Hank Olson ([log in to unmask]) writes:
>Judging from the NCAA Div II and III polls, there are alot of small schools
>that play hockey. How can these schools afford to run a hockey program in
>todays tight financial climate? A number of colleges dropped football
>because it was just too expensive. Isn't hockey also costly with the
>equipment, the arena, coaches, travel, etc. It is hard to envision hockey
>as a money maker at the Div II and III level.

Well, I can only speak for the State University of New York schools.  Back
in the 70's when Rockefeller was Governor, there was a big spending spree
to upgrade all of the state colleges.  This included both academic and sports
needs.  Nearly all of the schools that got brand new sports facilities had
an ice rink in them (as well as basketball courts, fieldhouses, swimming
pool, racquetball courts, etc. -- making them some of the finest sport
facilities at small colleges).  The schools usually place this facility under
the general facilities budget or some such thing.  They never fall under
the athletic budget -- the feeling is that they are available to the entire
student body and therefore should be paid out of the general fund.
Therefore, whether there is a hockey team or not, it costs the exact same
amount to run and maintain the rink.  So, that no longer becomes a factor.

Travel -- it will cost no more than the basketball team will cost.

Coaches -- again, no more than any other sport.  Therefore, the question is
whether you want another sport, not whether you want hockey specifically.

Equipment -- Perhaps a bit more than other sports, but it all depends.
Lacrosse probably costs the same, and players I would think provide their
own skates.  Remember, in football, you have to suit up around 60 players.
Hockey only has to worry about 25 players or so throughout a year.

So, you see, with the SUNY schools, it really isn't all that bad to have a
hockey team.  It's just a matter of what type of sports each school wants.
Also, most of the SUNY schools only charge admission to the basketball and
hockey games figuring those are the only teams that will attract a big enough
crowd willing to pay admission.  Therefore, the hockey team can recoup some
of its costs -- something other sports cannot do.  There are also at times
corporate sponsors that help out (Pepsi helps Potsdam hockey for instance).

As for the other schools, one thing you will notice is that a lot of small
colleges that play hockey are private schools with lots of money (same goes
for a lot of lacrosse schools).  Take a look at the standings for the ECAC
East, and you will see many prestigious small colleges with huge tuition
bills.
Russell Jaslow        | Official Contact - Potsdam College Hockey |My employer
Eastman Kodak Company |  Potsdam Bears - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div.  |has nothing
Rochester, New York   |   III National Basketball Champions and   |to do with
[log in to unmask]     winners of 60 consecutive games!      |my drivel.