From:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 23:24:18 -0500
Ryan Robbins writes:
<<In article <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Gentry
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>I don't think performance would matter to a newspaper reporter, especially
>if the Globe went through the trouble of sending one to Maine.

>The Globe itself is not biased towards Maine (there is an article about
>Chris Imes in today's Sunday Globe).  Now, as for one of their columnists....
>Do I really need to name him???

Huh? The argument was that The Globe is biased AGAINST Maine, not towards
Maine.

I meant to say against Maine.  A slip of the toungue.  You'll get that from
a chemistry major! :)

<<>I think the lack of coverage was mainly due to the distance between Boston
>and Maine.  For college hockey, the Globe usually likes to stay around Boston,
>unfortunately.

Again, I'm confused. In the first paragraph you imply a reporter WAS sent
to Maine, but in the immediate above paragraph you say a reporter was NOT
sent to Maine because of the distance.

I did not say a reporter was sent to Maine, I said *if* a reporter was sent to
Maine.  How would I know this?  Also, I can't see where in the above paragraph
that I said that I knew a reporter was definitely not sent to Maine.  I said
that the Globe usually does not send reporters that far.  This assumption
comes from frequently reading the Globe.  This is backed up by the fact that
in the Maine AT BU game (a 3-3 tie, a game BU did *not* win) there was a
Globe reporter present.  In the next day's Globe there was a lengthy article
and photo of the game.  So travel distance plays a supreme role in the Globe's
college hockey.

What I was referring to was Mr. Blake's comment that the Globe may have not
had an article about BU at Maine because BU did not win.  My point was that
obviously the outcome of the game would not be known till after the game.
*If* the Globe had decided to take the trouble to send a reporter all the way
to Maine, there would be a story in the paper, no matter what the outcome.

<<Anyway, a team's performance DOES affect coverage it's assigned by the
media, whether it be local, regional, or national. Readers don't care
for teams that are doing poorly or not up to expectations. Now, I don't
read the Boston papers, but I can bet that if Boston College was ranked
high in the polls and Boston University was stumbling, BC would get
a lot more coverage than BU.

You're right, you obviously don't read the Boston Globe!  I remember at the
start of the season the Globe had a front page (rare for coll. hockey)
article about BC hockey with a color photo.  The article continued later
on in the Sports section.  There was a small article later in the section
about BU hockey (the NC$$ runner-ups!!) which later summarized the rest of
Hockey East.  BU gets at best (except at NC$$ tourney time) equal coverage
as BC in college hockey.  In other sports, BU is barely noticable as compared
to BC.

Brian Gentry  BU'95
GO TERRIERS!!