From:
Ernest Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ernest Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 23:24:15 -0500
Ryan Robbins writes:
> Again, I'm confused. In the first paragraph you imply a reporter WAS sent
> to Maine, but in the immediate above paragraph you say a reporter was NOT
> sent to Maine because of the distance.
>
> Anyway, a team's performance DOES affect coverage it's assigned by the
> media, whether it be local, regional, or national. Readers don't care
> for teams that are doing poorly or not up to expectations. Now, I don't
> read the Boston papers, but I can bet that if Boston College was ranked
> high in the polls and Boston University was stumbling, BC would get
> a lot more coverage than BU.

Err... I would have to disagree on this.  The Boston Globe on college
hockey does tend to play favorites.  I generally like the Globe, but
when BU was doing very well, and BC was doing above average (the
90-91 season comes to mind), the Globe would definately give more
coverage to BC.  BC is Boston's home town school for sports.  So the
Globe would alway cover them more.  This always pissed me off, because
BU would be doing very well, but it seemed they would always get the
lesser coverage.

With regards to Maine, I really don't think they cover them that much
at all.  Maine is definately not the Boston Globe's main concern. I
doubt they sell very many papers up in Maine, comparatively, so they
probably don't have the desire to spend much reporting for them.  I
don't think it's something against Maine, more like Maine is not a big
concern for them.

-Ernie