From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 15:06:45 -0500
David Parter writes:
(Erik Biever writes:)
>> Bradley Center could be the best LARGE hockey arena, but for total quality
>> you've got to get a look at Mariucci Arena.  I hate to brag too much about
>> the home rink, but it's really that good.
>
>I have only seen one game there -- and that was the Vulcans USHL game
>we saw during the phinal phour last spring. I hate to say nice things
>about Minnesota [I couldn't resist :-)] but I agree with Erik. It
>really *is* that good.

Gotta concur with the Western folks here too.  By now I've seen dozens
of games at BC's Conte Forum and 3 at UMass-Amherst's Mullins Center,
and Mariucci is ahead of both.  In fact, I'd say it is probably the
yardstick against which all new buildings of its size should be
measured.  And it will be tough to improve upon.

The Mullins Center at UMA is a nice building, and anyone would be
happy to play there...but when it comes to nailing down just which is
the best, I can't think of any way in which Mariucci doesn't come out
on top.  A big reason is that Mullins (as well as Conte at BC) was
built with basketball in mind first and it shows.  Hockey fans feel
most at home at Mariucci.

After having seen both buildings, I thought it was a little embarrassing
to see UMass print in its press release for HE Media Day words to the
effect that "The Mullins Center is the finest college hockey facility
in the country."  Now, it is VERY nice, and one of the very best I
have seen.  But folks, nothing touches Mariucci.  You can say Mullins
is "one of the finest"...but to claim it is the best is just not
realistic.

I guess I have to put that in the same vein as when HE schools issue
releases that say, "Hockey East, recognized as the finest conference
in the country, ...".  I know HE people feel the league is the
toughest in the nation and they can produce evidence to back that, as
can other conferences.  That's okay.  Yet it still seems to me that
when there's at least a question, you don't parade out releases that
seem to suggest that there can be no doubt that you have the nicest
building or the best conference.  But that's just me.

BTW, I agree with Erik that too many seats at the Bradley Center are
too far from the ice.  But as he said, this seems to be the price that
is paid for having the newer buildings: they cost money, which has to be
recouped in large part by selling luxury boxes, which sell easier when
they're as close to the ice as in the newer rinks.  Still, just about
the only thing I will miss about the Boston Garden is the way it seems
that all 14,000+ fans are right on top of the action - even if 25-35%
of those seats are obstructed view. :-)