From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 17:42:36 -0600
> I gotta dissent here a little bit, though I do like the place.  Like other
> large, modern arenas with a row of luxury boxes above the lower-level seats,
> the upper-level seats are too far away from the playing surface.  We were at
> the 1993 championship game, and had a great view of the top of the
> scoreboard.  :-)  Otherwise, seats and sightlines are good (if you're not a
> mile from the ice), food is good, and the ice quality appears to be
> top-notch.  I'm told that there is room for Olympic-size ice, but it hasn't
> been done yet.  True?

There is room for Olympic sized ice, and it has been done for some
events, but not for any of the college games so far. It would mean
giving up some seats.

Having been in very few arenas, I like the Bradley Center a lot.  I
don't think the upper deck seats are too far away, considering that it
is a large arena, with luxury boxes, etc. I think the seats at the top
may be closer than the seats at the top of the St. Paul Civic Center
(but I could be wrong too!).

> Also, great Thai food withing walking distance (The King and I).  Yum.

Yes! Can someone please check out the Thai food in Providence so that
we can resume the Thai dinner tradition?

> Bradley Center could be the best LARGE hockey arena, but for total quality
> you've got to get a look at Mariucci Arena.  I hate to brag too much about
> the home rink, but it's really that good.

I have only seen one game there -- and that was the Vulcans USHL game
we saw during the phinal phour last spring. I hate to say nice things
about Minnesota [I couldn't resist :-)] but I agree with Erik. It
really *is* that good.

> I think the biggest reason UMD moved a game there is the extra $$ they'll
> take in from the increased attendance.  Their home arena, the DECC, only
> holds about 5,400.  It's an interesting experiment.  Two seasons ago, St.
> Cloud moved one of their home games against the Gophers to Target Center in
> downtown Minneapolis.  It wasn't part of the St. Cloud season ticket
> package, and they had a hard time filling the place up.

I think St. Cloud assumed that they would get their own fans (its
pretty close, right?), plus a lot of Gopher fans. Maybe now that the
North Stars are in Dallas they would draw better?

Everyone I know assumes that UMD is playing in Milwaukee for the
money.  The Bradley Center marketed the UMD game in a package with
Showdown tickets. I don't know how well they are selling.

> I read last week that there were still ~3000 tickets available for the
> Badger Showdown.  Are they having trouble selling it out this year?  Too
> close to whatever bowl game Bucky is in?

I think it will eventually sell out, but between the bowl game, the
novelty wearing off, and the fact that it is midweek (Wednesday
and Thursday), they might have some trouble.

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626