From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 12:42:57 -0500
Keri Williams writes:
>If I am not mistaken someone said a broadcast announcer prounounced Merrimack
>as Merry Mack and this WAS wrong? If this is what was said what is the correct
>way to prounounce it?

Phonetically (best as I can): MEH-ri-mak.  The "i" is a short i, not a
"y" sound.  And the "e" is also short, as is the "a".

The reason this was so embarrassing was that it was the tv play-by-play
announcer for UMass-Lowell, Bob Gamere, who did this.  If someone in
Minnesota or elsewhere gets it wrong, that's okay, how could they
know.  But 1) Gamere has lived in the area for years and years and is
a former sports anchor on one of the Big Three Boston stations, 2) he
should have known how to pronounce things correctly since he is getting
paid to do that, and 3) Lowell is only TEN MILES from Merrimack.

BTW, it was Dave Hendrickson, UML follower, who originally commented
on this; I had not seen the broadcast.  It seems to be par for the
course for Gamere, however.

Gamere gets two more cracks at it on Jan 3 and Jan 15, as WNDS will be
showing all three Lowell-Merrimack games this season.  Well, tv is tv.

>Has anyone done a composite on all the college hockey names and their correct
>abbrv.   like BU, CC etc.   I do not know all the teams and would like to
>become more familiar with them.

Send the following command to [log in to unmask]:

GET HOCKEY-L TEAMINFO

This is a listing of information - name, nickname, location, colors,
abbreviations, etc. - associated with each of the DivI hockey teams.
Jim Teresco maintains this file and has done a great job putting it
together, and I encourage any new fans to look here first for help.
Old fans can also get rink directions, ticket office phone #s, etc.
from this file.  If there is one hockey file from HOCKEY-L that you
will always want to have around for reference, this is it.