From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 16:42:54 CST
Indulis R Rutks writes:
> Minnesota's Brian Bonin scored the tying goal at 19:59 of the third
> period, to send the game into OT.

Doug Woog commented this morning on the radio that the refs didn't hold another
faceoff before OT.  I don't think there was really much doubt that the goal was
scored before the end of the game, but doesn't there HAVE to be another faceoff?

> If the Gophers continue these 3rd period comebacks (they were down 4-2 at
> the end of the 2nd), I will definitely need nitroglycerin tablets by March!

Yes, especially on Friday nights.  I was going to post this alarming analysis
earlier this week, but never got around to it:
                          FRIDAY NIGHTS
Opponent         Score after 2nd period (Gophs-Opp)   Final Score
Duluth           2-4                                  5-4
Wisconsin        0-1                                  2-1 OT
St. Cloud        1-3                                  5-3
North Dakota     2-4                                  4-4 OT

I guess the good news is that the Gophers outscored their opponents 10-0 in the
third period Friday nights.  Perhaps that says something about their depth and
conditioning.  The bad news, however, is that they've been outscored 12-5 in the
first two periods Friday nights.  They seem to play four periods of good hockey
each weekend.  It's those two "warm-up" periods every Friday that worry me.

Well, here's hoping this was enough to wake the boys up and keep them from
believing their press clippings!  BTW, Woog was rather critical of the play of
his top-line forwards (both in the paper and on the radio this morning) and has
decided to give Jeff Moen his first start in goal tonight.

(Sorry, I don't have time to do me box today; I'll try and do both tomorrow if
no one beats me to it!)

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!