From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 11:41:01 EST
>Posted on 10 Nov 1994 at 18:11:14 by Wayne Smith
>
>Re: 1995 NC$$ Tourney Info?
>>
>>Holiday Inn                  401-831-3900
>
>   In walking distance of Providence Civic Center.
>   Single $95.95+taxes   Double $105.95+taxes (minimum 3 nights)

Next door to the Civic Center, it is adequate, but definitely not very
good. Parking is free, which is a plus.

>>Providence Marriott          401-727-2400
>   Outskirts.

Very good hotel. It's a fifteen minute walk from the Civic Center. I
have no idea why anyone would say it's in the outskirts, because it
isn't. Actually it's practically behind the R.I. State House.

>>Omni Biltmore                401-421-0700
>
>   In walking distance of Providence Civic Center.
>   (no available rooms as of 11/10/94)

Excellent hotel, with very good services.

>>Holiday In at the Crossings  401-732-6000

>   10-15 minutes (by car); $134+taxes double, no minimum stay.

I'm not familiar with this hotel.

>>The Westin Hotel             401-351-4297
>                              xxxxxxxxxxxx 401/598-8000
>   150 steps to of Providence Civic Center.
>   This new hotel opens in December '94.
>   All rates are NCAA tournament rate, do not include parking (enclosed;
>   $6self/$8valet) nor taxes;  3 night minimum;  credit card guarantee;
>   entire stay paid 45 days prior;  cancel 21 days prior.
>                 Single $130; +$20 per person up to 4.
>          Deluxe single $140; +$20 per person up to 3.
>   Junior deluxe single $155; +$20 per person up to 3.

This luxury hotel is part of the new Convention Center. Great location.

>>Days Inn on the Harbor       401-272-5577
>
>   10 minutes (by car); free parking; hot tub/jacuzzi in room
>   $79+taxes; +$10 per person over 2.

Good and efficient. But you'll have to drive into downtown, unless
you really like to walk.

>   Any people familiar with Providence care to comment on these
>   and other hotels (I've not been in any of them!)?

See above.

Here are some other possibilities, all located in the East Side,
which is the nicest section of Providence (near Brown University and
within walking distance of downtown Providence and the Civic Center):

Brown University Guest Rooms - Tel: (401) 863-7300
Conveniently located on the Brown campus, this small hotel serves
mainly the needs of Brown University-sponsored events, but it's worth
a try. The rooms are large and comfortable. Free parking.

Mrs. Sotani's Bed and Breakfast - Tel. (401) 272-5466
Located at 19 Stimson Avenue, it's a gorgeous late ninteenth-century
mansion. Mrs. Sotani is very hospitable, and serves great breakfasts.

The Cady House - (401) 273-5398
Located at 127 Power Street on historic College hill, practically on
the Brown campus. Run by Bill and Anna Colaiace. They're wonderful hosts.
Thei rates are among the lowest in town.

C.C.Ledbetter's Bed and Breakfast - (401) 351-4699
Located at 326 Benefit Street, one block away from Brown University.
Nice house, good breakfasts. C.C. is a very nice person, who sometimes
talks a little too much. She has two dogs, so if you don't like dogs,
stay away. Otherwise, a very good place to stay. (Rates are comparable
to those at the Cady House.)

The Old Court - (401) 351-0747
Located at 144 Benefit Street,near R.I. School of Design, this is
a European-style hotel. Very nice accommodations.

I'll be glad to provide additional information about Providence,
including places to eat, shop, etc.

Luiz F. Valente