From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 17:02:28 EST
Sunday afternoon at Bright found the Harvard Women playing the
Connecticut Polar Bears to a 2-2 draw.  Athletic director, and former
fabulous Harvard Men's coach Bill Cleary was on hand to help launch the
season of new Women's coach Katey Stone.  I knew if Stone was installing
a much needed new system, today's game would be a tough one for the
Crimson, and it was.  The players looked very tired.  I understand Coach
Stone's practices are "hard and fast".

In the first period defender Lauren Turner (AJ Mleczko) scored for
Harvard when her shot from the right point found the left corner of the
net.  The shot made it through tons of traffic in front of the net.  Part
of that pressure is happening because Stone is playing everybody, and so
the players are fresher when they are on the ice.

During the second period AJM scored on a solo rush when the Polar Bears
got caught up ice.  She drilled her shot in on the near side past a
pretty good CPB goalie.  The Bears came back when they were able to
convert a slot shot to the high stick side of Harvard netminder Erin
Villiotte.

In the final period the Polar Bears tied the match when a low screen shot
found its ways under Villiotte's pads.  Both teams looked very tired and
play had gotten somewhat rough with numerous penalties being called.

There was no program so I can't give much information on the CPB.
Overall they were a group of individuals that did not play well as a
team.  They have some players who look good, but not much of a system to
operate under.

The Harvard Women looked tired, hopefully from good practices.  Coach
Stone has installed a few set plays, and some break out/in plays, but
obviously has a lot of work to do.  Right now with field hockey and
footer season still going she has only 13 players, but managed to play 2
defensive pairs and 3 lines (alternating in the most rested forward on
the 3rd line).  I'll have to say I saw some "shades of Russ McCurdy"
(former UNH head coach, whom Stone played for, currently assisting at
Brown) in her team's play and some of the things she told them on the
ice.  Its good to hear "Curdyism" again.  It was also nice to see a few
offensive ideas being used, like: a "spread" attack where the puck
carrier charges in one wing and heads to the net, while a linemate speeds
down and in the other wing.  Still with a tired team that hasn't learn
enough yet, the Crimson were guilty of standing and watching too much,
and not moving their feet enough.

I often wish Erin Villiotte could play for the Harvard Men's team.  She
is an excellent goalie with quick skates, and a fast glove.  She is the
strength of the Harvard Women's team.

On defense, Holly Leitzes leads the troops.  An excellent skater and a
player with wonderful vision and toughness, Leitzes is the other force on
the team.  Her partner was Lauren Turner.  Turner did ok, especially
considering how little ice time she saw last season.  Colleen Malek leads
the other defensive pair, but on the afternoon looked rusty.  Her mate is
Winkie Mleczko who played like she hasn't seen the ice since last March.
WM is one of the team captains and I look for her to clean up her act
real soon!

On the attack the first line is AJ Mleczko centering Christa Calagione
and Stacy Kellogg.  This line has a long ways to go.  Collectively they
need to get those feet moving and their sticks on the ice (yes coach
Stone!).  They made a few good plays, but generally did not play as a
line.  AJM does have great kill instinct, but her skating and ability to
take penalties needs series attention.  Calagione and Kellogg need to
remember there are other players on the ice.  Kellogg and a few others
could also use longer sticks.  The second line features captain Diana
Clark, Kate Schutt and Ellen Frump.  Frump was showing some much improved
skating.  She almost broke in all alone.  Schutt played her usual hustle
style game and should be a big part of this team.  Clark looked very
tired today.  The third line was Jen Duval with first-year player Walker
and the most rested forward at the time.  Duval played a fairly
aggressive second period, but needs a lot of work on her skating.  Walker
also looked like it was all going by pretty fast.  I hope some of her
first-year mates join the team in a week when fall sports are over.

Overall, it was a good start to a new era in Harvard Women's ice hockey.
I look forward to watching coach Stone install her system over the coming
year.    She seems to be a smart, caring coach who is a good teacher.
The skate and pass game isn't here yet, but the loading process has begun.

/
 good shooting
 rhun