From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 13:16:33 EDT
From:         Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Northeastern 5, Maine 4 (SO)

[snip]

According to Maine play-by-play announcer Joe Carr of WZON
AM 620, the shooutout was the first-ever in college hockey.

The NCAA does not recognize shootouts; Maine is now 3-0-1
overall and 3-1 in HE.

Ryan Robbins

I know we spent the whole summer discussing HE shootouts and how they
would affect the standings, but I'm a bit confused.  I was under the
impression that a HE tie that was won in a shootout would go as a league
win for the team that won the shootout but the shootout loser would still
get a point.  In other words, if last nights Maine/NU game was the first
league game for both, then Maine's HE record would be 0-1-0 (1 pt) and
NU's would be 1-0-0 (2 pt).  It seems from Ryan's post that he's in
agreement with this scoring.

Am I wrong?  The NESN commentators and this morning's Boston Globe said
that both the NCAA records AND HE records get a tie for both teams, but
the shootout winner gets the extra point in HE standings.  I.e.  NU: 0-0-1
(2 pt), ME: 0-0-1 (1 pt).  What's the deal here?  If both teams in fact
get a tie, and the shoutout is only for an extra point, then I think I'm
even more against shootouts than I was before!

Both NESN commentators said they LOVED the idea of a shootout as well as
all three Boston sportscasters on the 11 pm news.  Guess I'm in the
minority again!