From:
Matt Hills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 10:10:00 EDT
When I subscribed to this hockey list, I knew that I would be enter-
ing a discussion group of responsible, knowledgeable hockey fans.
That is why I am so surprised at the number of subscribers who have
entered this discussion about throwing things onto the ice. Tradition
is well and good such as band songs, the BGSU newspaper routine, or
the Wisconsin SIEVE chant at the opposing goalie. These traditions
are wonderful because they add an air of elecricity to the college
hockey game. However, to throw things onto the ice from the stands is
simply asanine behavior. Maybe people do not realize how dangerous
this is to all of the players- you may be throwing things at the
opposing team, but the articles may well hit one of your own players,
or worse, may land on the ice, be skated over, and cause a career-
ending injury to players from either side. No fan of any sport wants
to end the career of a player on your team, and no true fan wants to
end the career of any opposing player. I am not suggesting that the
motive behind throwing objects onto the ice is to end someone's play-