From:
Kevin Hoogheem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Hoogheem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 14:51:24 GMT-6
>Date sent:      Wed, 5 Oct 1994 14:38:26 CDT
>Send reply to:  "Mark L. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
>From:           "Mark L. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:        Re: traditions
>To:             Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>

>Greg Williams wonders about traditions of fans throwing objects on ice.
>When I was at North Dakota, students would smuggle dead gophers (under
>their clothes) into the arena for Minnesota games.  Sure enough, at the
>first Sioux goal, the dead animals would end up on the ice.  I even heard,
>although I never saw this personally, that someone did the same thing with
>a dead badger when Wisconsin came to Grand Forks.

Yep North Dakota has been known for its love of throwing Buckets of
Dead gophers and other mascots onto the Ice.  I guess while your
doing it, it seams rather funny, But I would just like to say that I
really don't see much need for this tradition in Hockey it unlike the
fighting brings a bad name to the sport.  Could you see if at every
hockey game they throw out a Dead <insert mascot here> on to the Ice.
What would people think if they went to a game and a Duck or a shark
was thrown out on the Ice.  hehe What about them great AHL and IHL
games you could throw out fireants and Moose

-Kevin Hoogheem