From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 09:55:00 CDT
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune (part of an article re: corporate
sponsorship of the WCHA Final Five and the College Hockey Showcase
tournaments in St. Paul):

New WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod said he has been contacted by ESPN about
the possibility that some WCHA games might be televised by the national cable
network to fill spots intended for NHL games.

A fill-in role on ESPN is possible if the labor dispute is not settled by the
Oct. 15 deadline imposed by the NHL, McLeod said.

ESPN2 was scheduled to televise three NHL games a week this season, and ESPN
was scheduled to televise one.  The station has yet to decide how it will
fill those slots, spokesman Josh Krulewitz said.

___________________________

This could be the break we've been looking for.  I want the NHL to jump on
it's opportunity for exposure w/out the World Series.  But, getting college
hockey onto National TV would be even better.  Problem is. . . .I DON'T GET
ESPN2!!!

All of the talk about petitioning ESPN to put on college hockey is great.  I
think it's a good idea.  It would be equally as important to call them or
write about your thanks/approval for putting on college hockey if the
circumstances above actually happen.  Let's hope they do.

Chuck

Chuck Sackett                        Wisconsin Badger Hockey!
[log in to unmask]        NCAA Champs:  1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990!!!
Minneapolis, MN                     On Wisconsin!  Go Big Red!!
                         (Or, Cardinal, as some of you would have it.)