From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 13:06:10 EDT
> From:         Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Hobey Jinx?

>> > Also, in the 14 year history of the award the 2 western
>> > conferences have 8 winners to 6 for the 2 eastern conferences.

> That's not really his point, though.  It could just as easily
> be the other way around.  It's still a matter of only knowing
> some of the candidates.  If there's a really good player at any
> school in the WCHA, (for example, insert your own conference
> here) I'm more likely to say, "Wow he's really good, I'll vote
> for him for Hobey" than I am to vote for the guy in the ECAC
> (again, insert name of conference you don't see often) whom
> I've only heard other people's impressions of.  If there are
> two top candidates who've been seen a lot by the same people,
> their votes are more likely to be split.  So, I think this may
> be a valid point.

> Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
> [log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
>                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!

This argument sort of goes along with my unhappiness at having an East
All-American team AND a West All-American team as opposed to just one
All-American team.  (I've said this many times before, but I feel that
having the TWO separate teams dilutes the honor of being All-American).
Likewise for the Hobey, if you can't make the effort to know ALL of the
candidates, and not just the ones in your region, than I don't think you
deserve the honor of being able to vote!!

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go River Hawks!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Is it October yet??????