From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 10:56:30 EDT
>Posted on 26 Sep 1994 at 16:07:44 by Luiz F. Valente
>Re: Scholarships
>Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 1994 16:02:52 EDT
>From:         "Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 1994 09:52:45 EST
>>From:         "Diane Munzer Fisher, Alumni, x3449" <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>AS a former Assistant Dean of Admission at Colgate University, I can confirm
>>the fact that there are no Athletic scholarships at Colgate for any sports.
>>All financial aid is based on need, as determined by information provided
>>on the standard FAF (financial aid form) and Coglate's own financial aid
>>form.  What is true about financial aid is that there is preferential
>>packaging for certain categories of students (athletes, top academic folks,
>>and other highly desirable acceptees).  Athletic financial aid packages would
>>be heavy in the direct grant category of aid with little or no loan or work
>>component.
>
>I suppose that this preferential treatment is what differentiates Colgate
>from the Ivy League universities, where awards are based strictly on
>need, regardless of scholarly or athletic ability.
>
>Luiz F. Valente

I got a piece of mail from someone who, evidently, thought that my post
offended Colgate University. Let me make it clear that nothing was
further from my mind. Different universities have different policies
concerning scholarships for athletes and other especially gifted
students. These policies don't make those academic institutions better
or worse. Some of the most prestigious academic institutions in
the country give athletic scholarships (Stanford University, the
University of Michigan, the University of Illinois, etc.) while others
do not (the Ivy League universities, MIT, etc.).

What I always hear at Brown is that the the financial aid offices at
Ivy League universities do not give preferential treatment to students
on the basis of either athletic or scholarly ability. In other words,
financial need is the only criterion. Nevertheless, since I've never
worked in the financial aid office of any of these universities, I
can't be sure. If someone has information (i.e., facts, not impressions)
to the contrary, I'd like to know.

I believe this is a valid topic of discussion for hockey-l.

Luiz F. Valente