From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 10:51:12 EDT
(I love replying to my own mail :-) .. wts)

I neglected to include one of the original reasons for that posting:

Subscribers to HOCKEY-L should be aware

- Network load may delay the delivery of HOCKEY-L distributions.  This
   delay might be anywhere from a few seconds to a day or two.  (People
   on local redistributions have one to three extra layers of software
   to go through, so your posting may not find its way back to your
   local redistribution for several to many hours).

- If there are problems with the delivery of HOCKEY-L distributions to
   you, your subscription will be removed from HOCKEY-L.  You will be
   sent a removal notice, but this may not reach you either.

- If you receive no HOCKEY-L articles in a day or two, please feel free
   to resubscribe immediately.  If your subscription was not removed,
   this will not help (but won't hurt).  If this does not correct the
   problem or if you are curious as to the nature of the problem (reason
   for removal), please contact the administrator (me ...  address
   below).

- Although the HOCKEY-L administrator will work with you and your system
   administrators to obtain a reliable email connection, addresses that
   cause repeated or periodic mail "bounces" will not be allowed to
   resubscribe until the problem has been rectified.

I regret the inconvenience to those of you with unreliable systems or
unreliable mail software, but in peak season we will probably see 50+
articles/day.  When you factor in that a few mail systems fail each day,
that's a lot of "bounced" mail (for me) to deal with.  If your mail
system definitively says your userid no longer exists, your subscription
is automatically removed by the HOCKEY-L LISTSERV software.  Likewise,
if some "name server" definitively says that your host computer no
longer exists, your subscription is automatically removed by the
HOCKEY-L LISTSERV software.  These features are new to LISTSERV this
season, and work well, but the result is that where I often waited two
or three days to remove a failing subscription address in the past, this
year they will be removed immediately (in the case of automatic
removals) or when I first see them (daily or within a few hours in the
case of bounces that I process manually).

Hope this clears up any questions you might have in this area and
will provide you the best possible service.  Cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]