From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 00:31:21 EDT
John Feigal writes:
>Also, if you notice from Pam's figures, Minnesota's average attendance
>per game figures exceeded this capacity figure.  That is because the
>number of people in the building is counted in the attendance figure
>(i.e., ushers, security, first aid, concession stand workers, etc.)

There have been games where I have said on the air after hearing the
official attendance figure that I thought they had to have been
counting the teams, too.  Didn't know anybody actually did this,
though. :-)

I know that at one certain rink, attendance figures don't come from
ticket stubs or anything like that.  The guy in charge of tickets
would come up to the press box at some point in the game, upon which
someone would ask him what the attendance was.  He would survey the
crowd for a moment and reply, "Ten-forty-nine...Battle of Hastings,"
or something like that.  Every attendance figure usually had some
historical significance.  It would get so people would come to the
press box armed with some obscure event from history to use for that
night's attendance.

One time before he could give the attendance, someone else blurted
out, "Looks like about two thousand."  The ticket guy made what
appeared to be a careful examination of the crowd and replied,
"No...two thousand and two."  The announced attendance that evening
was 2,002.

Just another of the crazy things that happen in this game.

BTW, it isn't Merrimack.  And I apologize to Battle of Hastings fans
if I got the date wrong.  It's late.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>