From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 14:09:17 -0400
G.M. Finniss writes:
>1) In the "Gee, I'm Glad I Know that Now" box (bottom left corner of the front
>   page of the Sports section) was this graphic courtesy of the NHL:
>         No. of U. S. Collegiate hockey players drafted:
>                1993- 17
>                1994-  6
>   According to the NHL, this is a new record low (previous- 7, 1969).

I believe it is also true that fewer Canadian junior players are being
drafted now than ever before...all because of the huge number of
Europeans drafted by the NHL in the last few seasons (also the
reduction in rounds recently from 12 to 11).

Basically, this is one of those statistics that along with fifty cents
will get you a cup of coffee.

I also agree with Robb Dunn's comments about collegians tending to be
drafted before college more and more.  It seems that either you are
drafted before college or else you do not get drafted at all (or get
picked in the supplemental draft).
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>