From:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 11:35:19 -0600
Hockey Listers,

It's Official! Below is the release. Thx much for all your support and
comments the past few months.

I have already told Coach Gwozdecky, he will be getting an Internet
address soon.

Please feel free to send him comments through me.

Have a great summer.

      ********************************
     ***** ***********   *****  *****
    ***** ***** *****   *****  *****
   ***** ***** *****   *****  *****
  ***** ***** *****   *****  *****
 ***** ***********   ************
********************************

Jack McDonald, Athletic Director
University of Denver
303-871-3399
fax 303-871-4950

1992-93 National Coach of the Year Gwozdecky
named hockey coach at Denver

DENVER--George Gwozdecky has been named head hockey coach at the
University of Denver Director of Athletics Jack McDonald announced
today. Gwozdecky, who assumes his new duties July 1, comes to Denver
from Miami University (Ohio), where he served as head coach the past
five seasons.
"George is a proven winner at every level he's been associated with,"
said McDonald. "His experiences with recruiting top student-athletes
makes him an excellent fit for our program."
In his first five seasons as a Division I head coach, the two-time
Central Collegiate Hockey Association Coach of the Year posted a
83-94-19 (.468) record. During that span, Miami won the CCHA title for
the first time in school history. In 1992-93, he guided Miami to its
second straight CCHA Championship berth, the school's first-ever NCAA
tournament selection and its best season record (27-9-5). For these
achievements, Gwozdecky was named National Coach of the Year as well
as CCHA Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year.
"I'm very excited to become a part of a program with great tradition,"
Gwozdecky said. "I'm  familiar with the Pioneer program and the WCHA
having played at Wisconsin (1974-78). Not only am I looking forward to
getting to know the team but also the Pioneer fans. I am confident
this will be a good match and look forward to getting started."
"Bringing out the personal best in people is what great coaching is
all about," said Chancellor Daniel L. Ritchie. "With George as coach,
I predict the hockey team will take the Pioneer spirit to new heights
next season. For our players, our university and our fans, that's what
we want.S
Prior to his appointment at Miami, the 41-year-old coach served as
assistant coach at Michigan State following a stint at the University
of Wisconsin-River Falls, an NAIA school. At UW-River Falls he
compiled a three-year record of 67-30-2 (.687).
Gwozdecky has been associated with national collegiate hockey
championships as a player, assistant coach and head coach. He played
left wing for the University of Wisconsin's 1977 NCAA Division I
Championship team, coached UW-River Falls to an NAIA title in 1983,
and served as an assistant coach for Michigan State's 1986 NCAA
Championship team.
A 1978 Wisconsin graduate and four-year letterwinner, Gwozdecky earned
his bachelor's degree in physical education. One year later he earned
his master's of education from UW-River Falls. He is married to the
former Bonnie Baryames and has a one-year-old daughter, Adrienne.
Gwozdecky becomes the seventh coach in Pioneer history succeeding
Frank Serratore (1990-94), Ralph Backstrom (1981-90), Marshall
Johnston (1977-81), Murray Armstrong (1956-77), Neil Celley (1952-55)
and Vern Turner (1949-50).

-DU-

Head Coach George Gwozdecky

Coaching Experience
1993-94Miami, Head Coach (21-16-1)
1992-93Miami, Head Coach (27-9-5)NCAA First Round
CCHA Regular Season Champions
1991-92Miami, Head Coach (18-16-6)CCHA Finals
1990-91Miami, Head Coach (5-29-3)
1989-90Miami, Head Coach (12-24-4)CCHA Quarterfinals

1988-89Michigan State, Asst. CoachNCAA Semifinals
1987-88Michigan State, Asst. CoachNCAA Quarterfinals
1986-87Michigan State, Asst. CoachNCAA Finals
1985-86Michigan State, Asst. CoachNCAA Champions
1984-85Michigan State, Asst. CoachNCAA Quarterfinals

1983-84UW-River Falls, Head CoachNCAA III Quarterfinals
1982-83UW-River Falls, Head CoachNAIA National Champions
1981-82UW-River Falls, Head CoachNAIA Quarterfinals

1978-81UW-River Falls, Asst. Coach
1977-78Wisconsin, Graduate Asst. Coach

Coaching Honors
1992-93   National Coach of the Year, CCHA Coach of the Year
1991-92CCHA Coach of the Year
1982-83NAIA National Coach of the Year