From:
Ed Priest <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Priest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 13:54:46 -0700
On Apr 4,  2:41pm, Mike Machnik wrote:
> Subject: Re: Some random comments & observations(Frigid Four)
> I guess this is really "This and That - Part 2".
>
> Ed Priest writes:
> >Lake Superior:
> >1. What really impressed me was their discipline - starting about
> >midway through the 2nd period BU was playing pretty chippy - an
> >awfull lot of uncalled charging penalties and stick tripping - but
> >LSSU NEVER retaliated.
>
> Funny, that is what impressed me about BU.  They did not get cheap or
> turn the game into a brawl when they fell behind, and I have seen them
> do that in the past.  This is the first time I have heard anyone claim
> that BU got chippy during the game.  They played no worse than LSSU
> and no differently than usual, and believe me, I was looking for BU to
> start trouble.  But it didn't happen.

Chippy might have been the too strong - I was thinking of the charge to Lacher,
a couple of uncalled charges, one of which the announcer said if that isn't a
charge nothing is, and Lachance,s stick to the back of the legs behind the net
which dropped a LSSU player, and Brennan's penalties.. Overall BU was just
trying to get something going and stepping up the physical play especially if
they could disrupt LSSU wasn't a bad idea. I've seen so many teams lately get
caught retaliating that I was impressed with LSSU's discipline. BU to their
credit didn't get penalties for retaliatory responses which could have easily
happened especially with LSSU's dominance and stiffling form of play. The
chances for fights in a 9-1 game is very likely and both teams should be
thanked for not bringing the "hockey game = fight" cliche into national
television.

Ed Priest