From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 1994 13:48:51 EST
>Sender:       College Hockey discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      ESPN
>To:           Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L

>Was I having hallucinations or did ESPN's Sportscenter actually
>show college hockey

>>game where the game winning goal was scored. They also actually, god
>forbid, showed the matchups for the semis and other Sunday result. I
>couldn't believe it. I thought the only highlights they showed was of
>the semifinals (not the quarterfinals) so they could "pump" their
>"coverage" of the finals.

 Bri -  (and EVERYONE else!)

I didn't see the coverage, but if it's true then we, as a group, have to
let ESPN know we appreciate it.  (Does anyone have an address for ESPN?
Somewhere in Bristol, CT, I think).  We can't rely on the NC$$ to push our
sport, we've got to help it along ourselves.  That means complaining to TV
stations, papers, and radio stations that the public wants more college
hockey!!!  Just 'cause the NHL took decades to market themselves properly
doesn't mean we have to too!  (Besides, we've got a more exciting product)

CBS, as part of a deal with the NC$$, has shown the NC$$ champioship in
many sports.  (I've been told the network HAD to do this in exchange for
the BBall rights).  Volleyball, gymnastics, swimming (as an ex-competitive
swimmer AND coach, I don't mind this) and other "niche" sports, but never
hockey.  Maybe someday?

    - Steve