Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 14:38:13 EST
I see that someone has already posted most of what came out yesterday,
so I'll post today's news, plus a little extra on yesterday's.

The NCAA has reportedly moved up the date when they will visit the Maine
campus, originally scheduled for April 11.  The NCAA would not confirm
this, but speculation is that William Saum of the NCAA may visit as soon
as next week. David Berst, asst. executive dir. for enforcement appeals,
told the Portland Press Herald "We wouldn't provide information concerning
our activities to anyone other than the university." But "its clear to

us that we need to evaluate the program".  Also, Attorney General Mike
Carpenter said Thursday that if asked, he would have his office investigate,
but had no plans to do so at this time.

In yesterday's editions, the PPH printed Anne McCoy's memo to Ploszek
back in Februrary, after he allegedly stated that he would not report the
incident to the NCAA.  Unfortunately I left that paper at home this AM,
so I can't quote much directly, but there is one point that I'd like to make:
In the memo, McCoy states that she is uncomfortable with Ploszek's position
of "no action" (that IS a direct quote from her memo).  This would seem to
suggest that Ploszek did mention this during a meeting; or McCoy implied
it because of what Ploszek said to her during a meeting, and perhaps she,
like people are claiming Carville, misunderstood what he meant.  Carville
used the words "in house" to describe how Ploszek said he would handle the
situation.

I am not trying to imply anything, just making an observation.

I was not planning to post this news directly to the net, but rather mention
it and send the details via email to people who showed interest.  The reason
being that the tournament starts in 2 hours, and I think we could make
better use of time and bandwidth discussing the performance of those 12
teams on the ice, than beaurocrats in Orono and Kansas City.  But since
someone else broke the news, I added to it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled March Madness.

John Forsyth