From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 10:41:22 -0500
as Neil as already posted, Steve Cedorchuk is no longer BC Head Coach...

it's not altogether clear if Cedorchuk was fired or if he resigned...I suspect
the former, IMHO. The AP reports it was mutual, while WBZ sports anchor Gil Sa
Santos says he was fired (and used that in his sports report this morning).
Anyway, here's the article that appears in today's _Boston Globe_.

CEDORCHUK, BC HOCKEY PART WAYS  by Bob Monahan

Boston College hockey coach Steve Cedorchuk's resignation was accepted
Wednesday by athletic director Chet Gladchuk after two seasons of what was
believed to be a four-year contract.
        But while Gladchuk insisted the decision was "mutual," other sources
offered a different scenario.
        A friend of Cedorchuk said, "Steve was really angry Wednesday and he
cleaned out his locker and his desk. Steve just muttered, 'This is what you
get for loyalty?'"
        Cedorchuk's resignation borders on the bizarre because in recent weeks,
the media and radio talk shows speculated about the fate of basketball coach
Jim O'Brien. Now O'Brien is in and Cedorchuk is out.
        Someone close to BC hockey said "Chet and Steve were never kissing
cousins. Steve never relaxed from the day he got the job. He always felt Chet
was looking over his shoulder."
        During pregame and postgame conversations the past two years, Cedorchuk
never was relaxed. Recently, he said, "I love BC with a passion. I'll do a do
anything for BC. I know we're making progress, but coming to work the past year
is like... well... put it this way... at times, I'd rather have a root canal."
        Cedorchuk obviously was feeling pressure. Was it from Gladchuk?
        Gladchuk said he and Cedorchuk met often the past few years and very
often the past few days, and indicated that they are on good terms.
        Whatever the circumstances, the departure capped an uncomfortable
two-year tenure for Cedorchuk, who served as an assistant for 17 years at
his alma mater before  getting a crack at the top job on Feb. 25, 1992, when
Gladchuk named him to succeed Len Ceglarski, the winningest coach in college
hockey history.
        But Ceglarski had announced before the 1991-92 season that it would be
his last, and the fact that Gladchuk waited so long to name a successor was
believed to hurt BC's recruiting.
        In 1992-93, the Eagles struggled to a 9-24-5 record, and this season,
they wound up at 15-16-5, finishing sixth in Hockey East and getting swept
from the league playoffs by New Hampshire in a best-of-three quarterfinal. The
highlight of the season was winning the Beanpot.
        Said goalie coach Jim Logue, "Steve called me Wednesday to tell me it
was over. It did catch me by surprise. Most people thought we did a hell of
a job, but I guess they wanted to go in a different direction."
        Cedorchuk was not available for comment yesterday. The phone in his
Milford, Mass., home was disconnected.
        A Charlestown native and All-Scholastic defenseman at Boston Technical,
Cedorchuk played at BC under Snooks Kelley before graduating in 1969. He
coached at Cushing Academy, then moved to St. Anselm College, where he had a
four-year record of 56-34-6. In 1975, he returned to BC as an assistant.
        University of Massachusetts head coach Joe Mallen, Cedorchuk's fellow
assistant at BC for six years and an assistant under him for one, was
"shocked and stunned" by Cedorchuk's departure.
        "Steve is a great guy and I thought he did a fine job," said Mallen.
"BC has a good recruiting class coming in. They lose only three seniors and
I know coming in are a good goalie and very good forwards and defensemen. I
thought Steve made a significant step this past season and that he had a couple
of more years to prove himself."
        BC senior Michael Spalla and sophomore Tom Ashe agreed, "It was a
shock at first. But coach Cedorchuk is tough and he'll land on his feet."

                    *************************************

The sports pages also contained an article on the possibility of Yale
coach Tim Taylor filling the now-vacant BC post...I would type it in
but I have to get to class. The story quotes BC AD Chet Gladchuk as saying
"I want a man who that the community has a great deal of confidence in to
turn the Boston College hockey program back into the successful tradition it
once held."

Among the names being tossed around: Taylor (Yale), Jerry York (Bowling Green),
Buddy Powers (RPI), and Joe Marsh (St. Lawrence).

--Sid
 BU '94.5
 WBZ-AM/TV